Re: Why is https: optional?

Hi Steven,

It isn't optional, it is recommended.

The status of the scheme https scheme predates my start time as an editor,
so I have a less clear recollection why it would be so, but I seem to
vaguely recall some ancient discussions about uses of XForms beyond the
mainstream, e.g. uses in places that have limited access to encryption
security software or on limited devices e.g. mobile devices in the 2002-3
timeframe.

Not clear whether it has to stay this way, but still the status as a
"should" means that implementers have to implement it unless there is a
good *technical* (not economic) reason to leave it out, so it's not the
same as optional.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: