Re: Submission Request-Response IDs (concurrent submit)

Hi Leigh,

Well, I guess "easy" is a relative term.

Right now, submit and trigger controls "just work", so to me it would be
easyif they still "just work" in the face of this new feature.

In other words, the XForms processor would sort out that a particular
submit or trigger control activated a particular submission, resulting in
a particular submission transaction ID, and so the XForms processor would
then prevent that submit or trigger from activating the same submission
until the submission's transaction ID associated with that submit or
trigger was completed with xforms-submit-done or xforms-submit-error.

Easy would also be if that someone did happen to want to enable a submit
or trigger to fire off multiple submissions, only then would they turn the
feature on for that submit or trigger via a boolean flag attribute.  I'm
assuming that it's less usual to want multiple activations of the same
submission from the same triggering UI control, in which case the default
should be false and the form author should only have to explicitly ask for
the less usual behavior.  And it should be easy to do so.

Predicates and if attributes may be "not hard" from our perspective of
being immersed in XForms for 10 years, but they seem not easy enough
considering one has to resort to XPaths to ask for behaviors that are
currently granted by default.  For sure, they are not the "easiest" way to
go.

Do you think a more automatic behavior like the above makes sense?

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: