Erik Bruchez, Orbeon
Leigh Klotz, Xerox (minutes)
Uli Lissé, Dreamlabs
Nick van den Bleeken, (Inventive Designers) [joined late]

* Agenda

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2010Feb/0044.html

* Previous Minutes

* News Items

Steven Pemberton: US Library of Congress and eXist: http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/news/2010/20100219news_article_mn_meeting.html
Leigh Klotz: It might be Dan McCreary.
Erik Bruchez: eXist is also use din http://history.state.gov/

* Next FtF

Next F2F in Boston in conjunction with AC Meeting, March 24-26, 2010 http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/FtF_2010_03_24_Agenda

Steven Pemberton: I added the test suite to the agenda.
Erik Bruchez: I added a map link.
Charlie Wiecha: The Hotel Sonesta is nearby. I'll add some hotels to the list.

Action 2010-02-24.1: Charlie Wiecha to recommend hotels on http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/FtF_2010_03_24_Agenda

Steven Pemberton: Erik, what are you goals?
Erik Bruchez: I'll finish my action items on UI Events and I'd like to discuss that.
Erik Bruchez: There are some XForms 1.2 features that we had work started, but not completed, or spec-ready text: XPath 2.0, Custom XPath Functions, Node Creations Functions, Variables.

Erik Bruchez: We also discussed components; is that for XForms 1.2?
Leigh Klotz: XBL?
Erik Bruchez: That would include XBL if it was relevant.
Charlie Wiecha: Possibly not 1.2.

Steven Pemberton: Charlie?
Charlie Wiecha: Patterns such as combinations of repeats and groups that roll up into master-detail; or list-of-lists (contact list vs current list). There are combinations that roll up into reusable functions. I don't know if we want to consider that a 1.2 issue.
Steven Pemberton: Is that compatible with the components discussion?
Charlie Wiecha: Components would be one way to do it. I could imagine doing it without formal components using an AJAX component model instead of XBL. We can think about the patterns separately from their implementation technology. I don't know if it's of interest to the group as a whole to think about them. We might have some introductory conversation to decide if we want to focus on it.
Steven Pemberton: Any any FtF, we should try to cover things that people are interested in.
Charlie Wiecha: I'd also like to talk about JSON serialization.
Steven Pemberton: Kenneth says his version isn't 100% round-trippable.
Charlie Wiecha: Do we do full XML with an arbitrary content model, or a more data-centric version?
Charlie Wiecha: Also, I have work item for external models with @src, and I'll try to have that text done.

Steven Pemberton: Uli?
Uli Lissé: I'm not going to be able to attend.
Steven Pemberton: You can join remotely.
Uli Lissé: I'm especially keen to get the UI events done.

Steven Pemberton: Charlie, we'll need a conference phone.
Nick van: [joins]

Steven Pemberton: Leigh?
Leigh Klotz: The topic I'm most interested in in XForms for HTML:
Steven Pemberton: The documetn?
Leigh Klotz: What exactly we're going to do and how we're going to do it.
Steven Pemberton: We're going to do it as a note?
Leigh Klotz: That surprised me because it was a rec-track document before.
Steven Pemberton: In a note, we can describe how it's working now and we don't need last call.
Leigh Klotz: If it seems opportune I'd like to move it back to REC track.
Steven Pemberton: Anything else?
Leigh Klotz: I'd like to see the component discussion; I think components in XBL or JavaScript can be done without us, or at least if we remove any disablers. Charlie has mentioned these two approaches, and I can see JS and server-side transformation implementations using these approaches as well. People manage to get HTML integration done, and we may just need to figure out if we're blocking component integration.

Steven Pemberton: Anything else?
Charlie Wiecha: Dinner!

* Rechartering

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2010Feb/0029.html

Steven Pemberton: Member voting is ongoing.

* Action Item Review

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2010Feb/0021.html

Steven Pemberton: We did some changes last time. Any reports?
Nick van: I will publish the new list.

* xforms-ready question

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2010Feb/0001.html http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2010Feb/0002.html

Steven Pemberton: This is the question of live instances; I have always thought this is a central issue for us, perhaps for XForms 2. JavaScript allows you to change a p/@class on a document; it would be good if XForms 2 could do that for you. If the document were linked to the form, that would give more power to XForms.
Nick van: There are implementations that do that.
Erik Bruchez: We do this with AVTs. I know there problems in HTML attributes. We use an xxforms:attribute/@for which points to the HTML element, its attribute, and the attribute value. We use this all the time to modify class and style elements.
Leigh Klotz: Is that an action or a binding?
Erik Bruchez: It's a control with a value attribute. It's not a binding because it's an AVT.
Leigh Klotz: Does it change when the instance changes, or do you have to send an action to it?
Erik Bruchez: It's like an output.
Leigh Klotz: So it's done on refresh.
Erik Bruchez: It's done on refresh.
Steven Pemberton: There are two solutions?
Erik Bruchez: The second is that you can use this directly instead of through the AVT. It would be xf:attribute. So that's two solutions by syntax, but we just use the xxforms:attribute when we see AVTs on XHTML controls.
Steven Pemberton: I've also considered an instance which represents the current document, like self.
Nick van: Then you have to set values and calculates. AVT is more powerful.

Erik Bruchez: <div class="foo instance('my-instance')/my-classes bar">
Nick van: It's more intuitive and declarative than using @calculate.

Steven Pemberton: We do have a problem that this creates invalid HTML, because the thing-being-validated aren't the values that match the declared datatype of the thing.
Erik Bruchez: It depends on how you look at it; if it ends up in an HTML DOM, maybe, but if it's a pre-processing step (as we do) it's OK.
Steven Pemberton: I agree that it should be OK. Some government departments require that their HTML validates; you'd have to have a different schema.
Erik Bruchez: This is actually easy to solve because you can define the element xxf:attribute to be the canonical construct; for implementations that support AVT in the host language then you can do it this way. Implementors might be free to support it or not. For author convenience, author convenience is the kin. It minimizes keystrokes.
Leigh Klotz: You could consider it an authoring convenience and then run an XSLT and then validate the result in multiple namespaces, for those who need to validate XHTML in its namespace.
Erik Bruchez: This only addresses changing attribute values, not adding or deleting them.
Leigh Klotz: This is a great example of the type of thing that could be written up as a module.
Erik Bruchez: While we're at it we could move xf:range to a separate module.
Steven Pemberton: I've added Live Documents to the agenda for the FtF.

Steven Pemberton: For today, this isn't really about xforms-ready. I think the list answer is OK, because there is an example. Does anyone disagree?

* submission/@replace='all'

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2010Feb/0043.html

Leigh Klotz: This breaks the back button, and the URL looking as it should, etc.
Erik Bruchez: There are hacks to fix the back button and the anchor. You'd have to store it somewhere. It might not be a sure problem because of local storage facilities.
Leigh Klotz: It's not a question of implementation, but of what we want. load/@replace='all' leaves the old page behind. Why do implementations want to keep the page in place for submission/@replace='all'.
Erik Bruchez: I think we made a change to XForms 1.1 to allow the events not to be dispatched.
Steven Pemberton: You're not guaranteed to work if the mediatype isn't HTML; what if it's PDF?
Erik Bruchez: We called this the optimized get-all. We just send it to the server. There are cases where you can't do this; in particular, the case where you specify an xforms:header child element.
Leigh Klotz: Nor can do you it with POST, but it should work on GET.
Erik Bruchez: The most common case with xf:replace='all' is equivalent to loading the URL in the browser, like an xf:load. You still have the problem using the POST of XML through XHR?
Leigh Klotz: There is a hack Alain proposed serializing XML in POST of application/x-www-urlencoded.
Leigh Klotz: Do we think that's what people want?
Steven Pemberton: My expectation is that people want just what the browser did.
Nick van: But the JS versions can't do that with XML submit.
Erik Bruchez: XForms 1.1 says "For a success response including a body, when the value of the replace attribute on element submission is "all", the event xforms-submit-done may be dispatched."
Leigh Klotz: I think preserving the expected user-agent behavior is more important than these events.
Steven Pemberton: Agreed.
Erik Bruchez: XForms 1.1 is specified as if the XForms processor has full control over the user agent. We did make this change for that, but it still looks like it's something that's meant to be native. For users, a JS or server-side implementation with a POST of an XML document the URL in the browser is something different. It seems unavoidable because you can't modify the URL beyond the fragment. The other things with xf:submission go through XHR or the server-side component. It's a little un-natural but workable. Are we happy to keep the spec that way or should it reflect the browser world?
Nick van: For me it's not a big problem because the spec already permits it. It would be more natural that if you had full control XML submit would nicely replace the URL, but if it isn't possible I don't think we need to re-write our spec for the limitations in JS.
Leigh Klotz: It's possible to make it work with GET, and there are ways it could .
Nick van: Not for cross-domain.

Steven Pemberton: What's the conclusion?
Leigh Klotz: Are submission/@replace='all' and load/@show='replace' different?
Nick van: The events could be different. You are permitted by the spec. Preferably you could the events.
Leigh Klotz: So you get a choice between user agent behavior and the events, but Erik points out you may be able to get the back button to work via a hack.
Nick van: Isn't it up to the implementation?
Steven Pemberton: In a spec, we want to assure interoperable behavior, and make sure things work the way they "ought" to work. Maybe that's the same thing. If we say it's an implementor's choice, it seems like you could never be sure. It might discourage you from using XForms. For example, I have a bank where the back button doesn't work; they log you out. It's in muscle memory and I'm constantly logged out, and it drives my potty.
Erik Bruchez: The back-button issue is fixable; it's a quality-of-implementation issue. Your bank has done it wrong; there are countless ones that don't handle the back button. A good framework or a good implementation of client-side JS has the ability to handle the back button.
Erik Bruchez: As far as submission is concerned, we are constrained by what the browsers allow you to do. As soon as you go by GET or HTML4 form POST, you have to do something slightly unnatural in the browser; either you use fragments or POST to a server-side component. Until browsers allow you to POST XML and support the serializations we support in XForms submission, we can't.
Leigh Klotz: This implementor's choice has been to break the page even on the simple cases for GET and HTML4 POST.
Steven Pemberton: I think Leigh is right; the page is more important and we should make it clearer.
Erik Bruchez: Maybe the "MAY" isn't clearer in the spec. We made the change exactly for this reason, or John might remember.

Steven Pemberton: Conclusion or more discussion? If we agree that the events are optional, we should just say that.
Nick van: We do say that. You don't even have to have a good reason not to. It's a MAY. We made it clear.

Resolution 2010-02-24.1: Dispatching xforms-submit-done and xforms-submit-error after submission/@replace='all' is optional and is not as important as other considerations, such as conforming to non-XForms user agent requirements of showing the page's URI and back button. While some non-native (JavaScript and server-side) XForms+XHTML implementations have been able to use techniques to retain most of these advantages in the complex cases of POST with application/xml serialization, we still see it as more important to conform to greater user-agent expectations in easier cases, such as <submission method='get' replace='all'>.

* IRC Minutes

http://www.w3.org/2010/02/24-forms-minutes.html

* Meeting Ends