  From:       "Klotz, Leigh" <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com>

  To:         "Steven Pemberton" <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>, "Forms WG" <public-forms@w3.org>

  Date:       11/24/2009 01:17 PM

  Subject:    RE: TransAnn: LCWD for XMLHttpRequest; comment deadline 15 December

  Sent by:    public-forms-request@w3.org

I recommend that we comment on XHR as follows:

This XMLHttpRequest functionality described in this document was previously
modularized and well isolated, and in fact XHR itself has beeen implemented
by a number of different desktop browser vendors by copying the original
implementations.  A standalone W3C Recommendation-track document is
welcome, particularly because of the statement in [1] "The goal of this
specification is to document a minimum set of interoperable features based
on existing implementations, allowing Web developers to use these features
without platform-specific code."  This goal was widely quoted in web
discussion on the working drafts.

It appears that the current draft, howevever, has a wide dependence on
HTML5: [2] "This specification already depends on HTML 5 for other reasons
so there is not much additional overhead because of this."  That dependence
runs counter to the goals of allowing Web developers to use the features
without platform-specific code.

While it may be useful for the HTML5 specifications to include
XMLHTTPRequest and make enhancements to it, the dependency should be from
HTML5 on XMLHTTPRequest, and not vice versa.

Making XMLHTTPRequest depend on HTML5 causes problems with modularity and
with non HTML5 implementations of the feature.

We ask that the dependency on HTML5 be eliminated, and that the
XMLHTTPRequest Working Draft be changed to specify minimum requirements for
integration in the areas for which it depends on HTML5.  HTML5 itself can
surely satisfy these requirements.

Thank you,
Leigh.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-XMLHttpRequest-20060405/