Re: XMLHttpRequest Comments from W3C Forms WG

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Marcos Caceres wrote:

>> Yeah, you are right. I guess we get so used to having these crappy
>> retrospective APIs around that one forgets that things could be done
>> in better ways - thankfully decent frameworks have been built around
>> them to make these things usable.
>
> Maybe that could be a lesson for XHR2?

Perhaps, but I haven't been following the XHR2 work - it could already
address all this, for all I know:) Nevertheless, if there hasn't
already happened, it would be good if people who have worked on making
XHR actually usable would contribute to making XHR Level 2 more
aligned with how XHR is used on the ground - thinking Prototype, Dojo,
JQuery, etc.

Seems a bit ridiculous that everyone is building effectively the same
wrappers around XHR to make it usable when all this could be done much
faster if it was implemented natively in the browser. Apart from
having a whinge, I don't have a better proposal for how this could be
done - I haven't thought about it, and there are people much more
qualified then me to do that. I can only hope that those working on
the spec have looked at how the frameworks do "ajax" and if lessons
can be taken and specified out of that... or that framework creators
contribute back to the standardization process from the wild.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au