From: Mark Birbeck [mailto:mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:10 AM
To: Klotz, Leigh
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org; public-forms@w3.org
Subject: Re: Question to XForms authors and implementors: Multiple help, hint, alert elements per form control?

Hi Leigh,

> We have proposed that a future erratum for XForms 1.1 note in the
> prose that multiple such elements per form control is at best not
> interoperable, and further that the schema definitions for which it
> can be conveniently disallowed be changed to do so.

Can I suggest that we don't be too restrictive? I would think that all we need to do is to work out what it takes to make things interoperable, were people to have multiple elements.

For example, we could simply say that authors can count on the first occurrence of one of these elements being processed, but after that, it will be application specific.

But doing this, we don't rule out any innovations that people might come up with.

> Are any implementors assigning special meaning to multiple help, hint, and alert elements?

We don't give it special meaning, but we don't disallow multiple elements, either.

When processors allow multiple elements to appear, then it creates some interesting possibilities. For example, CSS can be used to determine which of the elements gets displayed.

One illustration of this would be to have different labels and alerts depending on whether you are using a mobile or desktop device:

  @media screen {
    .handheld { display: none; }
  }
  @media handheld {
    .screen { display: none; }
  }

  <xf:intput ref="name">
    <xf:label class="handheld">Age</xf:label>
    <xf:label class="screen">Age at next birthday</xf:label>

    <xf:alert class="handheld">Age is required</xf:alert>
    <xf:alert class="screen"
      >You must enter your age. Come on...don't be shy.</xf:alert>
  </xf:input>

You could also have the label determined by the state of the control:

  .valid .reenter { display: none; }
  .invalid .enter { display: none; }

  <xf:intput ref="name">
    <xf:label class="enter">Age at next birthday</xf:label>
    <xf:label class="reenter">Please re-enter your age</xf:label>
  </xf:input>

Slightly contrived examples, I realise. :)

But I'm simply trying to illustrate that there are areas to explore, and I don't think we gain anything by closing off this avenue of exploration by tightening up the schema.

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Birbeck, webBackplane

mark.birbeck@webBackplane.com

http://webBackplane.com/mark-birbeck

webBackplane is a trading name of Backplane Ltd. (company number 05972288, registered office: 2nd Floor, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR)