Re: Candidate Recommendation Transition Request for XForms 1.1

On Monday, November 26, 2007, 8:45:44 PM, John wrote:

JB> Hi Chris,
JB>
JB> Now that you are back from vacation, you will undoubtedly soon
JB> notice that the meeting was held last week on Wednesday.

Yes (that will teach me to read email from oldest to newest; I stopped
that and am now catching up from the other end. i have also read the
minutes of the meeting).

JB> The scheduling problem here was that non-overlapping vacation
JB> times by all the participants left us with no ability to schedule the call before 2008.
JB>
JB> For the record, I did ask Steve whether he would prefer to wait
JB> until his and your return in December, but he indicated it was
JB> reasonable to proceed on last Wednesday.

No problem.

JB> The minutes of the meeting and the issues discussed appear in
JB> Steven's draft of the director's decision.
JB>
JB> It should be noted that we did not spend time on the particular
JB> issue that you pointed out.

(Since the minutes record your saying:

John: No formal objections in the last call comments

then it doesn't surprise me that the formal objection was not
discussed. )

JB>  In summary, the reason is that Bjoern
JB> did not raise a formal objection to the advancement of XForms 1.1
JB> to CR.

Right.

JB> More generally, there were *no* formal objections to advancement to CR.

I'm sure Bjoern would actually *approve* of that level of fine-grained
hair splitting :)  and its correct that he was objecting to LCWD not
CR, and that on the basis of comments on a different specification,
too.

JB> In Bjoern's case, it is a little difficult to fully characterize
JB> what happened using only "lossy" state qualifiers and abbreviated
JB> notes.  Bjoern did participate in a thread of discussion with me
JB> on the editor's list.  Later, the working group actually sent
JB> separate emails responding to the relevant issues separately;

Yes and those were listed; it seems that the actual technical issues
were resolved long ago.

JB> he
JB> didn't respond most of those, except the one that still concerned
JB> him.  After receiving a further clarification, he didn't respond
JB> further.  Overall, I felt it best to classify the interaction as
JB> "Agree" rather than "No response" (which is an implicit agree),
JB> because he did respond where he felt it necessary.

Okay. Thanks for the additional explanation.

To be clear, in my mail earlier today I was saying that his objection
(to LCWD) needed to be addressed, but didn't feel it would be upheld.

JB> Regardless of the title of his last call comment, we handled it
JB> as a last call comment, agreeing to and accepting all but one
JB> point, and defering that one other point.

Yes. I think it was handled well.

JB>  By comparison, here is
JB> the trajectory that a formal objection to advancement to CR would take:
JB> 1) reviewer provides last call comment
JB> 2) working group rejects or defers, or it resolves in a way not satisfactory to the reviewer
JB> 3) the reviewer formally objects to advancement of the document
JB> based on dissatisfaction with the handling of the reviewer's comment
JB>
JB> Neither Bjoern nor any other member of the public formally
JB> objected to how we handled their last call comments.

Agreed.

JB> Finally, note that a number of Bjoern's concerns did seem to be
JB> about process-related issues for XForms 1.0.

Bjoern also comments on the process document itself, and i sometimes
wonder if his comments on other specifications are more by way of
worked examples for a process document comment than about the
particular specification under discussion.

JB>  In that regard,
JB> Bjoern also had another opportunity to object during the recent
JB> advancement of XForms 1.0 Third Edition, but he did not object,
JB> and we did not expect him to do so because we did address his concerns.

Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns, John, even if I did
express them after the transition call had taken place.