Re: Proposal for face-to-face meetings and telecons in 2008

Good to hear you like the idea.

Regarding your not coming... oops, I actually proposed the old time
because you recently commented that the 8am time is inconvenient because
you get hungry.  I forgot that we changed to the 8am time because you
couldn't make the 7am time.

Do you have any other times that might work?  Would 6:30am-7:30 or 7:30 to
8:30 be better?

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
11/20/2007 02:46 PM

John Boyer/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA
cc
public-forms@w3.org
Subject
Proposal for face-to-face meetings and telecons in 2008

I think 2 meetings plus two calls a week is a good idea ---
especially if we can partition the calls to have very focused
agendas e.g. one call for present bug-fixes vs one call for
longer term things.
Of course I wont come to the one at 7am PT, but that's a known fact.

John Boyer writes:
 > We haven't had much of a chance to continue the discussion by email
about
 > how to increase attendance and participation in 2008, but we did begin
 > have some attractive ideas at the end of the last telecon that I would
 > like to continue discussing tomorrow.
 >
 > Here is a proposal based on the discuss:
 >
 > *How about we have only two face to face meetings, but have two calls
per
 > week.*
 >
 > There is an obvious benefit of reducing the cost of participation,
which
 > is important to the survival of smaller organizations and even
important
 > to those at larger organizations where approvals are hard to come by.
 >
 > There is also the obvious benefit of reducing the schedule upset to
 > oneself and one's employer.
 >
 > However, I also think this will result in significantly accelerated
 > progress.  It is hard to commit a large chunk of time to the group, so
 > committing any time tends to get put off; indeed, the recent face to
face
 > attendance is really just one manifestation of this general point.
 >
 > Having an extra hour *scheduled* in weekly would therefore accelerate
us
 > by quite a bit by giving us more time in increments that people can
 > manage.  And if you have to miss the occasional call, it's not so bad
as
 > missing a whole face to face.
 >
 > I also think it would be possible to get people more engaged in doing
at
 > least one action item between the calls.  And as people get better at
 > doing action items, they become less of a bother because they can be
done
 > more quickly.
 >
 > Here are a couple of logistical notes:
 >
 > If this option is selected, I would think we should consider moving the

 > Raleigh face to face out to May, then meet at the tech plenary in
October.

--
Best Regards,
--raman