Re: Planning to close Font and Text Community Group due to inactivity unless we hear from you

It would be great to use the CG’s blog (Wordpress instance) to provide information to the CG participants. I have made Hai Liang, Andrew Somers,
and yourself (temporary) chairs of the group so you have access to the Wordpress instance. (When you log into our side, you’ll see a “+ New” button
at the top and you can add a new post via that UX.) Perhaps you could collaborate and write a sort of “We’re closing; here’s where you can go for more
info” post. Then we can close the group.

Or, if you prefer, send me the text you’d like to post and I’ll do the blog logistics. Thanks!

Ian

> On Mar 8, 2023, at 7:48 AM, Laurence Penney <lorp@lorp.org> wrote:
>
> Before we switch off lines of communication, can we perhaps share some advice for former FTCG members on where they are recommended to seek advice and collaborate? Liang and Simon once spoke of the group “triaging” queries and suggestions, and I therefore wonder if we might productively document on GitHub some classes of questions and proposals along with how group members recommend they are dealt with.
>
> For example, I have been contemplating how to give CSS the power to override certain font metrics. In a recent real use case, I found the area between ascender and descender filled by the background-color was too high, and I wanted the ability to override the values in the font. (I was able to hack the font successfully, but that solution is not normal, and often technically impossible or illegal.)
>
> - Laurence
>
>> On 7 Mar 2023, at 16:47, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for the update and additional information regarding the mailing list.
>>
>> We’ll plan to close the group, but feel free to come back to us if you think it would be useful to keep this group open as a liaison structure.
>>
>> Ian
>>
>>> On Mar 7, 2023, at 10:00 AM, Liang Hai (梁海) <lianghai@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi the CG/BG System,
>>>
>>> As the acting chair of the group, I don’t object to the closing.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> For the participants’ interest:
>>>
>>> Recently the Unicode Technical Committee had some discussion about getting into the long time neglected problem of documenting “orthographic syllable structures”. There’s an open action item and Roozbeh’s brief rationalization. This marks some hope that some gaps between the Unicode Standard and the OpenType technologies may get to be closed from the Unicode Standard’s side.
>>>
>>> Please get in touch with Lawrence, Norbert, or me, if you’re interested to contribute.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> On the other hand, for the participants again, here’s an excerpt from the Community and Business Groups FAQ:

>>> Because the list of participants will be emptied, I’ve taken a screenshot (attached) so in the future we get to more easily gather people interested in this field.
>>>
>>> Currently I don’t plan to request the mailing list be closed.
>>>

>>> Best,
>>> Liang (梁海 Liang Hai)