Re: Archive API

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:21 AM, Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 18 September 2012 12:25, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:
> > The more I think about this and read the (justified) use cases, the more
> > tend to be convinced that it would be best to start with the simplest,
> > smallest low-level approach that makes it possible to implement richer
> > behaviour on top of. It's not a terribly original thought, but I would
> > rather leave the intricacies involved in the sort of dependency
> resolution
> > you describe to library code. If common patterns emerge from that, we can
> > then standardise those.
>
> The thing I like about the proxy solution is it's more (likely to be)
> explicit, and as difficult as it looks. Whereas the manifest makes
> things look simpler than they are, leading to 'gotchas'.
>
> It'd be interesting to see someone have a stab at a higher level
> solution (will spend some time reading DataCache). I'm worried about
> it going so low-level it becomes a barrier for most developers, like
> WebGL.

The complexity of DataCache is daunting, to me; I'll spend more time
digging in to it also, though.

I did want to point to Chrome's INTERCEPT section (
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=101565) again,
particularly the vague proposal for executable INTERCEPT handlers (
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=101800), which has not
been implemented (Michael can correct me, but I don't think this is on the
near-term implementation plan). Those ideas are all interrelated with
DataCache, I think.

-Chris