Re: Moving the discussion forward

On Sunday, 28 October 2012 at 17:29, Jake Archibald wrote:

> I'm keen on being part of this chat. Hopefully going to have more time
> to throw at this soon.
>
> I'm unfamiliar with the history of spec development. What are the
> success stories regarding community groups? What approach did they
> take?

CGs have only been around for about 1 year… so I don't think there are any good historical cases to look at yet. The RICG is currently doing a lot of work on Github and it's working really nicely. It allows us to bounce a lot of code around (both javascript and in Webkit), gets participants off the mailing lists (avoiding a lot of bla bla that takes all the fun out of standards), keeps the group focused on milestones and bugs, and produces running code.

It might be nice to fork the WHATWG spec around this and just file bugs around it. Make some reference implementations on how to fix appcache. Once can find a lot more real issues when stuff is actually running and being used (specially if there are libraries already that "fix appcache" that can be leveraged and studied).

Just my 2c,
Marcos
--
Marcos Caceres