Re: IndieHosters

Yes! We definitely want to offer MediaGoblin hosting. It's exactly the kind
of project that could benefit from this, to reach more users (e.g. artists
who care about owning the way they publish their media, but don't know how
to set up and run a server).

On Thursday we will launch a first crowd-funding campaign covering
WordPress and Known (withknown.com). Once we have set up all those
instances, we want to do another round dedicated to XMPP-based hosting, and
one dedicated to hosting personal data servers (ownCloud/CozyCloud).

We want to make all applications "configured, but asleep", so that we can
offer them to all users at no extra cost. We only spend RAM and disk space
on users who actually use a certain application.

People who sign up for one application, will automatically get all the
other ones too, as soon as we add them. We still have to develop this
wake-on-use system, but that's the plan.

Is there a Docker image for MediaGoblin? Can it be run as a http backend
behind an SNI offloader?

One of the principles of IndieHosters is migration-oriented hosting, so
taking a backup each hour, once under the hoster's control, and once under
the control of an independent standby, and always being ready to restore
from this backup (even if your IndieHoster walks under a bus, you can
contact the standby hoster, and they can give you your data, or simply
restore your instance elsewhere for you from their backup). I see
MediaGoblin uses postgres, so I guess to migrate an instance you would use
a postgres dump, and rsync the content folder?

Cheers!
Michiel