Re: R: European Parliament position on decentralised FOSS) based services

Quoting jwildebo@redhat.com (2013-09-17 15:47:21)
> On 09/17/2013 03:30 PM, Goix Laurent Walter wrote:
> > I found this
> > http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-%2f%2fEP%2f%2fNONSGML%2bCOMPARL%2bPE-516.886%2b01%2bDOC%2bPDF%2bV0%2f%2fEN
> > (see bottom of p.13), voted this morning
>
> Hm. I just noticed that the PDF says
>
> "8a. Calls on the Commission to promote the development of
> decentralised, freeware-based services that enable European citizens
> to regain control over their personal data and communication by means
> of point-to-point encryption;"
>
> Whereas the original amendment was
>
> "Calls on the Commission to promote the development, jointly with
> stakeholders, of decentralised Free and Open Source Software (FOSS)
> based services which would help to harmonise practices across cloud
> providers and enable European citizens to regain control over their
> personal data and communication, for example by means of
> point-to-point encryption."
>
> So what was voted? The "freeware" stupid version or the "FOSS" better
> one?

Chances of a qualified response is higher if posting such question to
the epfsug mailinglist.  That's the reason I referenced that list: even
if not the canonical source of what was actually voted, Erik Josefsson
is our guy in the European Parliament - and he is subscribed to EPFSUG
lists and FreeedomBox list (he posted those mails I referenced).

 - Jonas