Re: What we need in a next-gen social network

On 25 November 2013 23:30, Nick Jennings <nick@silverbucket.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Melvin Carvalho <
> melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 25 November 2013 22:30, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward@gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> It's completely controlled by the user.  However, like all things
>>> "internet", as soon as you publish something, you necessarily lose
>>> *some* control.
>>>

>> Ah I see, so the user controls *what* data they put there, but not
>> *where* they put it.  I'd still perhaps like to see slightly more in the
>> way of options for the user before I would describe it as "self determined
>> storage".  I may have bought my own secure data storage area that I'd like
>> to use.
>>

> I know you're already aware of it Melvin, but just wanted to also mention
> remoteStorage [1] for the record. The goal of the project is to change the
> paradigm of web application development and provide a simple client-side
> library for implementing self determined per-user storage functionality by
> default.
>
> http://remotestorage.io

Yes am quite familiar with this project and I also like the goals.
Although it's not a social network it could perhaps become part of a social
network.

I think it support HTTP verbs such as GET, PUT and DELETE which is great!

Some things I'd like to see to be able to use this library:

A slightly more 'polyglot' approach to identity, so that I could log in
with my URL profile, as well as the 'user address' concept that this
library uses

I'd like the library to be able to read my profile using linked data, using
web standards such as turtle, or JSON and then discovery where my storage
is.

I've interacted quite a few times with he development team, and outlined
these requests, if we could get some of these standards supported, that
could start to be a great candidate for "self determined storage".