Re: What we need in a next-gen social network

On 25 November 2013 22:12, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Are you willing to help make it happen?  Because the solutions have
> >> been in waiting.
> >
> > Sure!  I'd be happy to look at any systems out there, especially if they
> > offer genuine choice of storage that its determined by the user, rather
> > than, the developer ...
>
> The Pangaia project is a p2p solution, creating a content-addressed
> network rather than using domain names.  That means each person's
> computer becomes part of the cloud.  The individual gets to choose how
> much of their personal content they want to publish to the "cloud".
> Availability is done in the model of Freenet: redundancy.   Popular
> items are copied to peers who use and can serve the content.
>
> You might take a look at the mediawiki page on sourceforge.  The
> project name is pangaia, but the actual protocols that get used will
> be determined by several factors.  But two that are not
> countermandable are using TCP sockets, and the standard model of
> computation whereby Linux is the primary anchor point.  That is, the
> crazy instability that is Javascript is not a suitable platform, for
> example.

I've looked at pangia a few times before, and I like the concepts.

Content addressed identifiers can work really well as part of a strategy,
we've seen this many times with things like git, bitcoin to name a couple

I'm intruiged by: "Leap-frogging over RDF <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDF>,
we'll be using the power of the *visual cortex* to make relationships
instead.

*Killer"*
Regarding "self determined storage" I'm unsure this is a complete
solution.  ie who decides where things are stored, the user, or the
developer of the system, it seems to me slightly more leaning towards the
latter, at this point in time.