Re: Federation protocols

So it seems like the gist of feeling here is that we must create one open
standard and then crush Facebook. I'll stand to the side of that vibe
except to add that this will not happen. This is not a case of

1. create open standard
2. developers implement it/users leave facebook for an open standard
3. ???
4 profit!?!

Not going to happen. Facebook is offering huge value to users already on
their platform. We're the rounding error in terms of people that care about
privacy, federation and distributed network design. There are very few
success stories of open replacements replacing the closed incumbent by
matching them feature for feature.

Simply reinventing the posts, followers, wall model and writing up a
protocol will not work.

Instead, think about the tools and services and protocols that solve a real
developer problem. We solve this by:

1. Why are developers going to the Facebook SDK pages to build their social
products?
2. and what we can be doing to a) understand their needs b) offer an open,
hopefully federated, alternative that solves their needs quicker, easier
and in a more open way.
3. ???
4. (a higher chance of success).

This could be things like federated media sharing or quick ways to add a
social layer to their mobile app or game.

Anyway, my point is that this idea that a one-size-fits-all protocol just
doesn't work. We've tried it. Federating a bunch of social networks that
aren't solving a real user need (beyond privacy) is an exercise in protocol
masturbation rather than solving real problems and therefore have a chance
of being adopted.

I wish the world was otherwise. It's not and usually I find it easier to
change my approach than try to make the entire world change for me.

S.

--
Simon Tennant | buddycloud.com | +49 17 8545 0880 | office hours:
goo.gl/tQgxP