Re: Federated object storage with access control and event subscribtion

On 21 May 2013 18:25, Felix Maurer <felix.maurer@fsmi.uni-karlsruhe.de>wrote:

> Hi Federated Social Web group,
>
> I'm a computer science student in Karlsruhe, Germany at the KIT[0]. I'm
> interested in developing a protocol to share "objects" in a federated
> network and I'm going to do this as my Bachelor thesis.

I think the KIT team is pretty strong in this area :)

I think it would make sense to use JSON LD or something
equivalent/compatible.

Not everyone likes JSON but it has the advantage of wide support and that
once your get the data, it's already in memory.

This essentially means any serialization object notation, which also allows
arrays and key/value pairs that can be namespaced URLs or literals.

> At the moment I'm trying to find related work or an existing protocol
> which does this already and did not have any luck so far. As my motivation
> is to serve the federated social web, I was told to look at the work of
> this group but could not find anything either.
> My question is now, does anybody of you know a protocol or a system that
> allows users to store objects or data in a federated network, set
> permissions for other users which are not on the same server and can notify
> about updates (push)?

Permissions is a whole other problem.  There's room for standardization in
this area.  In the read write web community group [1] we've spent some time
looking at these problems.

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/rww/