Re: Wiki page Re: Proposal to develop best practice document to focus work of W3C FSW Community Group

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Daniel Harris <daniel@kendra.org.uk>wrote:

> On 19 May 2013, at 17:00, Dileepa Jayakody <dileepajayakody@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de
> >wrote:
> >> Dileepa Jayakody:
> >>
> >> I am not absolutely against this but hesitate to do that. Selecting
> >> protocols and standards is already difficult and potentially
> >> controversial. Selecting best projects likely would be even more
> >> controversial. I do not tend to avoid controversies but would like to
> >> concentrate on those around protocols, standards and specifications for
> >> the Best Practices document.
> >>
> >> ***
> >>
> >> The OneSocialWeb project is dead since a few years, which is unfortunate
> >> because it was a promising project...
> >>
> >> Eclipse Higgins also seems to be more dead than alive:
> >> http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/higgins-dev/maillist.html
> >>
> >> Sad to see these projects not living up to their potential.
> > I think we need some reference implementations for the discussed
> protocols
> > and reference projects (samples) for new explorers (like me) of federated
> > social web. I agree with you on the point that selecting best projects
> can
> > be controversial  but I think that will attract more people to this area
> of
> > study... Maybe selecting/discussing projects and reference
> implementations
> > of protocols will be a secondary step in improving the document.
>
> Controversy is not always a bad thing when it's handled correctly. So, in
> this case, if I may, I'd recommend adding in any references you think would
> add colour/explanation/grounding to the document. Giving examples whilst
> trying to explain technologies can be really useful even if it does add
> some impurities. If someone takes issue with what's being written and they
> express/vocalise this then you can use this as an opportunity to engage
> them in dialogue and perhaps get them to participate more in this group.

+1, I think we should accumulate related topics,projects and protocols into
one place/document, and regulation can be done in the next step.
Discussions will be highly useful to select best projects, practises IMO.