Re: [ANN] Vole is a social web application using BitTorrent

On 21 June 2013 19:07, Mark Theunissen <mark.theunissen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> We've created an open-source social network application that saves data as
> .json files,  which can then be shared with others in a secure manner using
> BitTorrent Sync.
>
> BitTorrent is a great protocol for distributing data efficiently, and the
> latest labs experiment from them called BitTorrent Sync allows you to share
> a folder, much like Dropbox, by distributing a read-only key to others.
>
> Vole is a small web server written in Go that presents a browser interface
> and saves JSON back to the user's shared folder. It works really well,
> however the major blockers are the lack of an API in BitTorrent Sync
> (meaning manual steps are required) and the fact that BTSync is not open
> source.
>
> http://vole.cc
> https://github.com/vole/vole
> http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html
>
> I thought this would be a good place to see if anyone had any feedback or
> pointers for further work. Apologies if this post isn't appropriate.

Looks like a cool project.  I think it's appropriate to this list,
especially if it could be made to work with other projects.

For example, let's say I'm on another network, would it be possible for me
to add a vole user to my list of friends?