Re: Finding user profiles on a Social Net

Hi there,

Dnia piątek, 7 czerwca 2013 o 09:58:52 Melvin Carvalho napisał(a):
> On 6 June 2013 16:41, Simon Tennant <simon@buddycloud.com> wrote:
> > I generally dislike /.well-known because it makes lots of assumptions
> > about the web-root being available.
> >
> > Three problems with this:
> > 1.  Others might run hosted personal pages like those hosted on about.me.
> > For example my sister runs a hosted store on her domain. Short of getting
> > the eCommerce provider to change their code, she would never be able to
> > implement anything social.
>
> Well perhaps if she doesnt have access to .well-known, she probably could
> not deploy that pattern, but neither could she deploy webfinger, or any
> other number of patterns.  However, she could deploy an indieweb style
> pattern which utilizes follow your nose, in the space she has access to.
>
> > 2.Often times an organization will have their web-root maintained by
> > another company. Page updates could easily overwrite a nice /.well-known
> > hierachy.
>
> As above, however, orgs that cannot access their web hosts probably are not
> going to be able to deploy many social web patterns.

Doesn't seem to be a good idea if it makes *harder* for people that actually
*do* self-host (blogs, for example) to deploy their own social networking
solutions. They are the early adopters, the techies, the people that are going
to run socian networking first. Why alienate them?

I never liked webfinger and .well-known, DNS approach seems much more sane to
me.

> > 3. I don't know the answer to this, but how long should /.well-known be
> > considered authoritative? What kind of refresh interval?
> >
> > When you start thinking about it, this is all a hack to accomplish what
> > DNS already does. DNS-SD has already solved this, and has caching, and
> > with zone signing, authority.
>
> I would suspect that DNS is as hard to configure, if not harder, than your
> web space.  However, it's an interesting idea.  I did ask stuart cheshire
> about this, and he said it was an interesting idea "could be made to work",
> so maybe.  I'll try and follow up on that.
>
> Mark nottingham had another idea along these lines:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nottingham-json-home/?include_text=1
>
> You may be correct, but the .well-known pattern does seem to be gaining in
> popularity (although I agree and share your concerns!)

True that.

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania