Re: Federation protocols

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Simon Tennant <simon@buddycloud.com
> <mailto:simon@buddycloud.com>> wrote:
>
>     So it seems like the gist of feeling here is that we must create
>     one open standard and then crush Facebook. I'll stand to the side
>     of that vibe except to add that this will not happen. This is not
>     a case of
>
>     1. create open standard
>     2. developers implement it/users leave facebook for an open standard
>     3. ???
>     4 profit!?!
>
>     Not going to happen. Facebook is offering huge value to users
>     already on their platform. We're the rounding error in terms of
>     people that care about privacy, federation and distributed network
>     design. There are very few success stories of open replacements
>     replacing the closed incumbent by matching them feature for feature.

<snip>

>     Instead, think about the tools and services and protocols that
>     solve a real developer problem. We solve this by:
>
>     1. Why are developers going to the Facebook SDK pages to build
>     their social products?

Seems like an obvious answer: market share.  Same reason developers
develop for iOS and distribute through iTunes (and these days, Android
and Google Play), and don't flock to, say, Blackberry anymore.

>     2. and what we can be doing to a) understand their needs b) offer
>     an open, hopefully federated, alternative that solves their needs
>     quicker, easier and in a more open way.
>     3. ???
>     4. (a higher chance of success).
>
>     This could be things like federated media sharing or quick ways to
>     add a social layer to their mobile app or game.

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out why people migrated from
USENET to Facebook.  There was a time when USENET was the dominant form
of social networking (other than email lists), and was accessible
directly, from AOL, from Google Groups - i.e., it was (and still is)
federated.  Easier to filter too, at least with a good newsreader.