Re: [buddycloud-dev] email metadata

I also very like the use of EMail. EMail has been a success for dozens
of years. It's natural federation. If we can overlay the social
functions on top of it, a decentralized social network is readily
available. It's hard to ask your friends to create new accounts on a
DSN, but everyone has email and we only need more social functions.

Another advantage is that, email can **gracefully degrade**. You don't
need everyone to adopt a protocol to jumpstart the system. People who
use social enabled clients can extract more meta data from the multipart
codings. People who do not use that can still get information in
degraded format, e.g. plaintext, HTML.

We have been trying this in SNSAPI. Since email is a less active channel
than others, we have not designed the meta data. Currently, only
plaintext data is sent. Looking forward to sophisticated design.

Pili