Re: An Introduction: SOCML

On 14 February 2013 08:07, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> related." I worry that this format, based on the backgrounds of its
>> authors, will be mainly used as a method for the "big social networks" to
>> aggregate more user activities outside of their service rather than
>> fostering the growth of competitive alternatives.
>>

> Could not agree more.  AS is use case driven rather than a generic
> solution where you can plug in your own data models, afaik.   However, as
> you state it can be the right tool for the right job in some places.  I am
> concerned about portability of AS, and am unsure how much effort has been
> put into that aspect, to date.  Though it does have it's own mime type
> which can help the client understand what it's getting.
>

>> While, I find JSON to be meritorious in its usefulness and conciseness; I
>> still believe that XML is the most widely understood and supported data
>> interchange standard. Most shortcomings with XML can also be solved with
>> simple compression algorithms.
>>

> Sort of yes.  The serialization isnt always that important, the principles
> behind the serialization are though.  Things like portability, namespacing,
> self describing data, non collision, extensibility can be beneficial when
> trying to build systems that scale.  XML in the form of RDF/XML for example
> kind of reached a local minimum in terms of adoption, and I get the
> impression people like to work with JSON these days.  JSON-LD is a
> promising serialization, imho ( http://json-ld.org/ ) and easily
> translatable to XML forwards and backwards.
>
> A good video on this from Douglas Crockford :
> http://inkdroid.org/journal/2012/04/30/lessons-of-json/
>

>> With respect to Melvin's comment about putting too much of an early
>> emphasis on security and authorization; I think he's right. It's probably
>> best to keep the standard focused as a data standard and leave the
>> implementation of security and authentication up to the user's service.
>>

> Thanks :)  I do think security is very important, but also that the
> modular approach is the one that scales, rather than the, 'one size fits
> all', that tends to be popular.  This allows one team to work on
> communication and one to work on security and the ability to fit things
> together.
>

>> Currently, some of the main design issues I'm struggling with at the
>> moment are:
>>
>>    1. Should the standard include "action related" structures that
>>    incorporate a "push" and "retrieve" methodology for facilitating interop
>>    between services?
>>
>> Would like to understand this better ... do you have an example?
>

>>    1. How can we standardized social media objects such as messages,
>>    status updates, pictures, etc. while maintaining the ability to add
>>    additional extensibility to these objects?
>>
>> There's a few efforts in progress.  AS already mentioned.  Some work was
> done here http://xmlns.notu.be/aair/ ... tent.io have a neat system,
> opensocial perhaps, and facebook APIs and open graph protocol are certainly

I think it's fair to say that facebook represents the industry leader in
social networks.  I would highlight 7 use cases that would be good to
achieve for social networks aspiring to federation to this level.  (the
last one may be a bit too hard, but I think the first can be good goals)

User Interactions
==============

1. Adding a friend

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/dialogs/friends/