Re: ActivityPump API

On 10/16/2012 03:49 AM, Antonio Tapiador del Dujo wrote:

> The last can be described using JSON AS + Audience Targeting +
> only one activity point per site. This way, notifications to several
> users in the same site could be delivered only once. Authorization could
> be handled in the similar way Facebook does with apps (note that apps
> are also authorized to publish on behalf of users if the permission is
> granted)

Yes, I think the best architectural approach is one that federates sites
(or domains, or other similar level of abstraction) rather than users,
because this scales better for sites that have many users.

While the "indie social web" tends to have individual sites with one
user each, I think the "realistic social web" looks more like the email
network with most users on a few big providers. It would be great to
have a protocol that works well for both cases.

As I've noted before, this is the motivation for my design for the
"building block" Domain Federation Protocol[1], which I'd imagined being
the auth foundation for a protocol like ActivityPump. Personally I don't
see value in applying persistent OAuth client registration to this
problem, since associations between domains need only be transient in
most cases.

[1] http://martin.atkins.me.uk/domain-federation-protocol/
     http://specs.mart.me.uk/dfp