Re: WebFinger compromises

I agree with Blaine entirely, but I'll add some commentary:

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Blaine Cook <romeda@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is great. It seems like there's largely consensus on ditching XML
> (what do we need to do to convince you, Evan? My take is that the installed
> base is easily converted as code is updated). Paul's new draft is vastly
> simpler for it. The only thing I can imagine to simplify things further
> (and possibly help the backwards compatibility question) would be to drop
> the requirement for Accept headers altogether, and just use host-meta.json.
>
> Since others (Brad, Dick) are advocating for the resource-less approach,
> I'll reiterate my support for that approach. Failing that, we should have
> only one approach.

Totally agreed,

> The big problems as it stands:
>
> 1. Too much complexity in the spec. A casual reader, implementing
> webfinger for the first time, will be confused.
> 2. Too many conditionals required in fully-functional clients. A webfinger
> client should ideally be implementable in just a few lines of code (i.e.,
> HTTP request, parse JSON, go).

An explicit example, mentioned elsewhere, is I don't think we
should mention two host-meta endpoints in the webfinger spec.  Pick one.
 Since we're saying only JSON is required and host-meta.json is already
defined, let's just pick that one.  Do not mention bare host-meta anywhere.

If a server wants to implement all of RFC 6415 independently, that's fine.
 But WebFinger should use only a subset of 6415:  just host-meta.json (a
static document, without query parameters).

> 3. Hosting is more complicated with "resource=". Ideally, server setup for
> a redirecting server could be:
>
> $ mkdir /var/www/.well-known
> $ cd /var/www/.well-known; curl -O
> http://myprovider.com/help/host-meta-template.json
>
> and done. At this point, I'd really like for Mike Jones or someone else
> who was advocating for the resource parameter to reiterate why it's
> necessary?
>
> Honestly, I don't care either way (resource or no), but would prefer *one*
> option to reduce overall complexity. I know it's not *much* complexity to
> us, since we're all very familiar with the issues, but the reality is that
> every extra feature reduces our chances of adoption significantly.

Yes, it should go.

host-meta isn't a search interface.  Its sole eponymous feature is
providing metadata about the host.

Yes, that means two round-trips for the cold cache case.  But it'll be just
one or two-in-parallel in practice.

- Brad