Re: Introduction and question

Welcome! It's not an all-or-nothing technology. It's a loose
collection of techniques that, together, make the Indie web, as well
as the APIs of the web's big platforms, more 'social'.

IMHO (others probably have more info to add):

ActivityStreams is a very central part of federated social web, you
may want to start there.

To understand federated social web you need to at least understand the
ideas behind xmpp federation and the ideas behind OStatus federation.
Since both work with ActivityStreams, they're not necessarily mutually
exclusive. Read-write web is also relevant, i guess.

Webfinger is also quite central, but it's currently being merged with
swd, which means that the spec-development activity is taking place at
the IETF's appsawg list (and this is quite technical stuff so maybe a
bit boring). that's something you wouldn't know as a newcomer
obviously. so if you want to know something, don't be afraid to ask!

Even though there's no central organization (apart from maybe
workshops where people come together), together we can answer each
other's questions and between all of us we asymptotically have sort of
an overview :) at least we can try to point you to where to look, and
the more you read and follow the discussions, the more you yourself
become a part of the knowledge base (that's how we all started, i
guess).

Anyway, welcome, and don't be afraid to ask questions! There are
probably other people who have the same questions as you, so it's
useful to ask them on this list.

Cheers,
Michiel