Re: W3C wiki instead of our CG silo wiki, IRC #fedsocweb vs. #federated

On 21 December 2012 22:18, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Greetings public-fedsocweb,
>
> 1. Summary: Let's move to using
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Federatedsocialweb/ for our wiki.

+1

> For the past 3 months, the only people editing our CG-specific wiki
> are Evan P. and myself.
>

> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=365
>
> There's a reason for this: CG-specific wikis.

nah, it's just lack of resources

> I'm not sure how or why W3C decided to default to giving each WG/CG
> it's own Wiki-silo that only members of that WG can edit. It was a
> bad/dumb idea.

is it such a problem to join the group?

> * biggest problem: reduces/discourages contributions from those
> outside this CG (wikis work because nice people perform helpful
> drive-by edits. requiring a separate account, or worse, formally
> joining some "group" discourages this greatly).

ive managed many many wikis in my time, and the vast majority are
maintained by a small, but willing, minority.  Perhaps a naive opinion tho!

> * also: inconvenient to have to login multiple times to edit multiple W3C
> wikis
>

> I'd like to start using http://www.w3.org/wiki/Federatedsocialweb as
> our "official" CG wiki.

+1

> Evan, what do you think, and how easy/hard is it to change the "Wiki"
> link on the top left of http://www.w3.org/community/fedsocweb/ to link
> to http://www.w3.org/wiki/Federatedsocialweb/ ?
>
> I'm proposing we leave the
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/ in place as
> a time capsule of sorts for the IG and other work to date through
> 2012.

IMHO, FSW has really stalled in the last two years after really promising
work form the incubator group, in 2009.

I think scope has been relatively narrow and the participation has been
light.  Interop is a hard hard problem, and requires both technical and
social protocols.  Neither have been as strong as they could have been in
the last few years, but that's not to say we cant make them better.

I had the privilege of meeting some indieweb people this year (including
tantek) at TPAC, and Im of the strong belief that we can make a paradigm
from the grass roots that can scale as strongly as sites like frienster,
myspace and facebook, yet have stong privacy, and an excellent UI.