Re: Proposed EXPath module: resource collections

From: Christian Grün <christian.gruen@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 13:42:21 +0100
To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Cc: Mike Sokolov <msokolov@gmail.com>, "Robie, Jonathan" <jonathan.robie@emc.com>, Adam Retter <adam@exist-db.org>, EXPath CG <public-expath@w3.org>, "hgrennau@yahoo.de" <hgrennau@yahoo.de>, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Good idea! I would also welcome the introduction of such a module.

I also believe that the lowest common subset of document properties in
different implementations boils down to only a few properties.. if any
at all (except for the document uri). In my experience, most people
were asking for such an extension to be able to store and retrieve
application-defined document properties. The Qizx API provided a
similar feature for that (see [1], Section 8). A compromise could be
to have a minimum set of mandatory document properties and an extended
set of recommended properties.

Talking about the fetch function, I would personally prefer to have a
static rc:fetch function. As long as we don't have enhanced type
definitions, as recently motivated by John Snelson, functions
resulting from the evaluation of maps cannot be statically parsed
anymore.

[1] http://kiwi.emse.fr/DN/qizx-manual.pdf