Re: Archive Module -revival

On 02/06/2014 03:00 PM, Christian Grün wrote:
>> The OCF spec[1] (the ePUB spec that defines how to package files
>> together in a ZIP file) mandates the first entry to be "mimetype"
>> entry, uncompressed, and containing "application/epub+zip".  This is
>> an easy way to check this is actually intended to be an actual ePPUB
>> file encoded as ZIP, without having to unzip the file (a bit like
>> magic numbers in image files).
> True, thanks. For me, this would be yet another reason to stick wirh
> XML. XQuery 3.1 arrays would be another solution, but this is even
> further away.

I think the decision to discard the ordering of entries in a zip archive
could have other ramifications.  The format has an order. People have
relied on it. We have one example: by the law of the internet there are
lots more.  I think a zip access library should preserve information
that could reasonably matter, although maps certainly do seem like a
convenient alternative for when you don't care.  I guess everybody seems
to be agreeing at this point - just one more vote.

-Mike