Re: [expath] Re: Finalizing the File Module

On 15.04.2014, at 13:22, Christian Grün <christian.gruen@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1) I find odd to name anything children in a tree environnement like XML
>
> Personally, I find it particularly well suited to talk about children
> in a hierarchical file system environment. What do you exactly regard
> as confusing here? What do you think about the existing file:parent()
> function, which we see as the counterpart for this new function?

I agree with Christian and think it's quite common terminology when dealing with file hierarchies.

See for instance the fts(3) functions on Unix systems which are provided for traversing file hierarchies:
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/fts.3.html

In addition there are useful components, such as

fts_accpath A path for accessing the file from the current directory.
fts_path    The path for the file relative to the root of the traversal.
fts_parent  A pointer ... referencing the file in the hierarchy immediately above the current file ...

which could be taken as an established reference when designing a file module.

All the best
	Alex