Re: Final draft of Proposed Binary Module

On 11/14/13 8:53 PM, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 14.11.2013 17:17, Michael Sokolov wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear.  What I meant was
>>
>> |bin:pack-integer|(|$in|| as ||xs:integer|, |$size|| as ||xs:integer|)|
>> as ||xs:base64Binary
>>
>> could be
>>

>> |bin:pack-integer|(|$in|| as ||xs:integer|*, |$size|| as ||xs:integer|)|
>> as ||xs:base64Binary|
>>
>> which would pack a sequence of integers, one after the other, into a binary
> I see. We have tried to keep function simple, yet powerful enough if
> combined together. Do you have any real use-case where long sequences of
> integers have to be packed at once?
No - this was mere idle speculation.  I can certainly imagine someone
reading sensor data from a satellite imaging array, or unpacking the
pixels of an uncompressed image file, but I admit this is probably a bit
off the beaten track, and certainly isn't something I need to do.  In
any case, it seems as if the way is open to a future extension of this
sort if the need arises; existing function calls would continue to work.

-Mike