RE: Proposal for including EXI in XMPP

Hi Peter,

The default option value defined for EXI Options document when a field
was omitted is chosen based more on the observation that such a setting
would be more common in the use of EXI. There are natural correspondences
between the easiness and the commonality of the option values in many cases.

However, there are some cases where this observation does not hold.

Lexical preservation is in a sense easier than the default lexical
*non*-preservation because you do not need to implement typed
representations when lexical preservation is on. (Can we require the
server to always support both?)

Similarly, strict grammar may be deemed easier than the default grammar
setting because strict grammar takes less footprint and does not permit
adding things like CM or PI. Note strict grammar is *not* the default.

Having said that, these should be rather harmless. When the client asks
for strict grammar setting for example, it should be ok for the server to
respond with counter proposal of default grammar setting. The client
may be a bit puzzled with the answer (because it thinks "default" grammar
is harder), it can simply decide not to continue.

For the alignment settings (i.e. bit-packed, byte-aligned, pre-compression
and compression), we can take it for granted that compression is harder
than pre-compression, and pre-compression is harder than both byte-aligned
and bit-packed. But the order is equivocal between bit-packed, byte-aligned.

If we can require the server to always support both bit-packed and byte-aligned,
then the issue would go away. The server just need to take care to downgrade
compression to either pre-compression or byte-aligned, and pre-compression
to byte-aligned. If the server downgrade compression to bit-packed for example,
that is not really a downgrade, and the client may be baffled at that point if
it does not support bit-packed (but supports byte-aligned).

It seems that the server can only downgrade according to a lineage of
well-defined difficulty, whereas the client should be able make a counter
proposal using an alternate setting outside the lineage when one lineage
did not turn to work out.

For numeric values, the lineage relationship is apparent. The larger value
means more difficulty. Most binary values have lineages where the value
true indicates more difficulty than the value false. Lexical preservation
case is a binary case where there is no lineage of difficulty, and the
strict grammar case is a binary case where the lineage is opposite
(i.e. true case is easier). The alignment case is the one that has only
a partial lineage.

Regards,

taki