RE: Requesting guidance on EXI fragment encryption and signature

Don,

I do not have guidance, but the questions are nonetheless of interest to me.
So, if you do not mind, let me make a few statements and then ask a few
questions for clarification.

I also looked at compressing EXI for an application I am working on, but
decided that compression (e.g., such as with zlib) was not desirable, as I
would lose the ability to manipulate the stream on the wire: I really
appreciate that attribute of both XML and EXI.

We looked at a few modes of EXI as compared to using zlib (without EXI at
all) and came up with this:

http://www.packetizer.com/xml/xml_compression.html

It would be interesting to see other comparisons.  The net is that "strict
compressed" yielded the best results, but we do not necessarily have the
schema in hand in our case, so that was out.  Zlib did extremely well for
XML documents between 300 bytes and 8K.  For smaller messages, EXI alone
(without compression) did better.  What was interesting was that above 8K,
it seemed that all modes (including zlib compression) largely converged in
size.

I am curious: will compression be necessary in your case, or would EXI alone
be sufficient?

Is the purpose for using EXI on only a part of the document to allow part of
the document to be visible by entities that need to know a bit about the
contents without decoding it?  If you have large documents and use any form
of EXI, wouldn't using EXI across the whole XML document be workable?
Inspecting the EXI binary seems to be relatively simple: at any rate, one is
going to employ a parser one way or the other.

Is the purpose to allow one to apply a signature over the EXI parts only,
with the unsigned parts outside?  In other words, you're defining a
"container", of sorts, to hold the real information, while placing the
signature that applies to that data outside in normal XML.  If so, s there
any reason to not simply define such en explicit wrapper?  The signature
issue is really a big deal and I've not been to happy with the existing
options.  So, the line of questioning is interesting - and I suspect to a
number of people.

Paul