From: public-exi-request@w3.org [mailto:public-exi-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Robin Berjon
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:19 AM
To: public-exi@w3.org
Subject: Heads up: Silverlight 3

Hi folks!

I just thought I'd send you a heads up in case you haven't seen this:
one of the features touted on the shortlist of improvements for
Silverlight 3 is that it integrates "Binary XML" which can be used to
communicate with the server and other instances of the client.

I tried looking for details but as usual searching MSDN and the likes
has proven only moderately successful. I suspect it's just using WCF's
binary XML format, but could neither confirm nor deny.

Either way, Microsoft's position that they only saw value in binary
XML for very specific tightly integrated situations (e.g. as a
compilation format for XAML or as the protocol between SQL Server and
its clients) seems to have changed since presumably Silverlight is
expected to communicate in all manners of situations with all sorts of
servers for a large variety of usage scenarios. It's certainly a data
point to keep in mind during PR.

TTFN!

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/