Binary format XML within JPEG? Re: Liaison Statement from SC 29/WG 1 to W3C (SC 29 N 7609)

Dear Yukoko Ogura,

Please thank the JPEG group for this message.

The file you sent contained a zipped archive containing a file in
some sort of non-standard format.  I understand  that its intent was
as below, included for others on this list.

> Liaison to W3C on Binary XML
>
> SC29/WG1 (the "JPEG" committee) has continuing needs for embedding
> XML data into compressed image files. In some cases these XML
> streams are very large, equal in size of to highly compressed
> images. A need exists for compressing these XML streams. These
> streams are currently compressed by various means, but we believe
> this is a general problem requiring a general solution.
>
> We note with interest that W3C has in the past had an effort to
> create Binary XML and had a group working on this. It is not clear
> to us if this work is still underway. We hope it is, or, if not,
> that it can be re-started.
>
> There are a variety of approaches which we have seen and we would
> like to see a feature-rich and widely applicable solution.
>
> Within WG1, we have developed the JPSEC tools [ISO/IEC 15444-8] for
> adding security features to portions of codestreams. The JPSEC work
> is being generalized to allow its application to portions of file
> formats in addition to codestreams. It has the concept of Zone of
> Influence which can apply a sequence of treatments to various byte
> ranges within a file. This work is in the early stages but has much
> flexibility and supports encryption, authentication and compression
> of these zones.
>
> Another technique WG1 uses is RFC 1950 and RFC 1951. This applies
> the DEFLATE algorithm and the zlib format to whole XML documents.
> This does not provide as much granularity as might be desired,
> since it does not allow decompression of small portions of the XML
> as might be desired when interacting with remote images through the
> WG1 JPIP interactive protocol.
>
> The Microsoft Open Packaging Conventions also offers a possible
> approach to this problem.
>
> SC29/WG1 would like to ask W3C about the current status of this
> work and would welcome any opportunity to provide input into it or
> to assist in any possible way.

3. The work in W3C is being done in the Efficient XML Interchange
Working Group
	http://www.w3.org/XML/EXI/
   Their status update of 2006-03-15 is at
  	http://www.w3.org/XML/EXI/public-status-200603.html
   from which you will see they have called for proposals and have a
number of submissions

   I am sending copy of your note to the public list associated with
that group, assuming that its content is open to public discussion.

Perhaps in discussion with the chair Robin Berjon (Ccd) you will able
to determine how best to follow this up.

Tim Berners-Lee