Re: Comments: Canonical EXI -- Last Call Working Draft

Hi Taki!,

The current discussion focuses primarily on use cases that use Canonical EXI as their transmission format. In the common case, Canonical EXI is used end-to-end with the same options and schemas because they are the most efficient for the particular message (i.e., intermediaries don’t change them). In this case, we simply sign and verify the Canonical EXI stream sent and received. This works with or without the EXI options and/or schema ID in the header.

In the less common case where an intermediary needs to change or remove the options (e.g., because the target edge-device doesn’t support full EXI), you must have an external method to indicate which options and schemas were used. The same mechanism used to indicate which EXI options were used is also used to indicate whether the EXI options and/or schemaId were present in the signed document. So, the presence/absence of the EXI options and/or schema ID are treated the same as all other EXI options that may get changed by an intermediary.

I hope this helps!

 Cheers,

 John