Re: sharing of string table

Hello Hitoshi and thank you for your comment,

UCHIDA Hitoshi <uchida.hitoshi@canon.co.jp> writes:

> Dear EXI WG,
>
> In 7.3 String Table,
> what do you think about a function to share the string table
> between two documents ?
>
> After an EXI processor finished encoding a first document,
> it uses the string table of the first document to encode
> a second document.
> This function can make the size of the second document smaller.

EXI already provides one feature that can be used to achieve the
functionality you request. Namely, it is possible to encode a series
of XML documents as an EXI fragment, which will retain both the string
table and any learned grammar content between individual documents of
the series.

In general, the working group believes that being able to preserve any
learned content from one encoded document to the next is primarily
applicable to situations where there is already an externally-defined
ordering among the documents, such as over a communication channel
that guarantees in-order delivery. For such situations, the solution
using fragments and relying on the external ordering seems adequate,
and thus we have no intention of defining an ordering internal to EXI.

--
Jaakko Kangasharju, Helsinki University of Technology
Remember to sacrifice regularly to Shub-Internet