Re: [Call For Review] How to Add a Favicon to your Site

On 3/24/06, Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl> wrote:

> Quoting Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>:
> > We drafted a document on
> >       "How to add a favicon to your Site"
> >       http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon
> >
> > The document is open for reviews, suggestions and proposals.
> > The future of this document will depend on your comments and if the
> > QA IG as large think it would be interesting to give it more
> > visibility.
>
> The problem with using <link rel="icon"> is that it doesn't work for
> everything.
> If you put it in the predefined location, being `/favicon.ico`, you
> will not get
> any 404s in case you missed a directory or file etc. Of course, it
> would be nice
> if there would be some official draft on how to deal with this, as well
> as with
> robots.txt and P3P.
>
> Using it for other files might be possible using HTTP:
>
> Link: <favicon.ico>; rel="icon"
>

> --
> Anne van Kesteren
> <http://annevankesteren.nl/>

I would prefer to have one <link> with rel="icon" and a
definition of the relationship in a profile. The other methods
are only there so that as many user agents as possible
will find the icon. I believe everyone is aware of the history
behind URI squatting the image in docroot, and the term
"shortcut." Even the MIME type for .ico files is inaccurate.
Again, a legacy browser issue prevents this error from
being corrected.

--
Douglas Clifton
dwclifton@gmail.com