Re: XHTML 1.0 versus HTML 4.01

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> Andrew Cunningham wrote:
>
>  > Of course IE6 doesn't understand application/xhtml+xml. I could be
>  > wrong, but i believe that the recommendation to use the
>  > application/xhtml+xml mimetype probably came out after IE6 was under
>  > development. So not suprising that IE6 doesn't support it.
>
> However, two IE service packs later, and the browser still doesn't know
> what to do when it is served application/xhtml+xml. Certainly, rewriting
> its core engine would be too big a job, but at least it could have
> reverted to treating it like tag soup HTML at the very least...but
> that's academic.

true

>  > w.r.t. IE7, most people I know do not use WinXP-sp2, so most people i
>  > know will not be able to use IE&
>
> There will be a slow but steady phase of users forced to upgrade to XP
> or Longhorn, as fewer and fewer applications support older versions of
> Windows. I recently had to switch to XP because most of my video editing
> packages were written for XP only.
> Add to that OEM contracts that put XP-SP2 on the majority of newly built
> mainstream PCs, and the pressure on corporates to keep upgrading to stay
> in line with MS' licensing regime, and you have a situation in which pre
> SP2 XP and 2000 are sure to fade away in the coming years.

LOL, but then again, lately I work with Latin script languages that
require Windows XP-SP2 as a mimimum to render correctly in a web browser
... and at last count three, maybe four fonts, in the world that i've
been able to identify that support those languages.

> Let's wait and see...

Andrew Cunningham
e-Diversity and Content Infrastructure Solutions
Public Libraries Unit, Vicnet
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne  VIC  3000