Re: web standards project article

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:04:42 -0400, Eric Heupel <eric@heupel.com> wrote:

> this list can talk standards until everyone is blue
> in the face and in the end all it will amount to is an elite navel
> gazing exercise. Very few people will be able to implement much if any
> of the standards you advocate without clear authoritative guidance on
> the technical aspect of serving it.

I couldn't agree more. Back in the day, I used to try to explain
standards to various clients and/or supervisors, and you could watch
them glaze over and the drool start to drip from the side of their
mouth.  Now, I try to frame the discussion from a "best practices"
angle, and explain the benefits to them specifically.  However, these
"best practices" are just my amalgamation of the standards filtered
through my interpretation of them.  It'd be nice to have something
"official" I could point to that is clear and definitive that covers
ALL aspects of best web practices, from serving a page to building a
page to accessibility.

Ideally, I think it'd be nice to see a "Best Web Practices Working
Group" to evolve from this.
--
Bryce Fields, Web Developer
Where I Work: Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

"Do or do not! There is no try!" -- Yoda