From: public-evangelist-request@w3.org [mailto:public-evangelist-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Karl Dubost
Sent: 28 October 2004 12:49
To: 'public-evangelist@w3.org'
Subject: Re: web standards project article

Le 28 oct. 2004, à 09:58, Ant Tears a écrit :
> Molly E. Holzschlag has an article on http://www.webstandards.org
> about what web standards actually are. I found it quite interesting
> and was hoping to discuss it further. An excerpt is below:

The exact reference is:
http://www.webstandards.org/buzz/archive/2004_10.html#a000463

> In HTML and XHTML there is an implication in the specs that working in
> a strict environment is the ideal. That using meaningful markup is
> ideal. But neither of these are a real or even de facto standard. So
> semantic markup is an implied goal, not even a measure of compliance,
> and something we are trying still to understand. Semantic markup is a
> best practice, not an explicit recommendation.

Yes it's one of the issues of HTML/XHTML which has different
implications:

* The semantic of XHTML/HTML is not defined as a conformance requirement.
	Related: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa/2004Oct/0008
	It's a very difficult topic that I could explain a little bit more if people need it.
* How do we explain Semantics of HTML/XHTML?
* Do we need a best practices guide?
* Should this best practices guide be part of an XHTML Specification?
or a separate document? or part of a collective effort for example done here on this mailing-list?

--
Karl Dubost - http://www.w3.org/People/karl/ W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***