Re: A Case for XHTML

Hi Livio,

Le 12 oct. 2004, à 12:48, Livio Mondini a écrit :
> I think that real problem is web ... web is in html.

Web is not a problem, web is a wonderful thing, where you can access to
thousands of documents. I have though to add something to what you
said.

	web is NOT html, html is part of the web

The very initial web was
	html + http + url <=== that's really what the web is.
Now you can add on top of that
	css, xml, xslt, soap, etc.
And I can tell you that's not words in the air, I'm using them daily
for simple things which are part of the web.

> My site, in xhtml 1 strict, valid, has a simple table layout
> for many reason. A very simple and clean table, but a table.
> Is this XML? I think no, markup as presentational scope.

xhtml is an application of XML. XHTML respects rules of XML, and I can
tell you that if you are using an XSLT on a XHTML 1.0 document to
produce for example an RSS feed, you are using XML.

What you are basically saying it's because you are using tables for
presentation, you are not using... XHTML as defined in the defined in
the spec and basically that would be still the case if you were making
your site in HTML 4.01. You will not use properly HTML 4.01. So that
has nothing to do with XHTML 1.0 or HTML 4.01 but with using the right
semantics of elements.

It's not only about syntax: SGML versus XML. It's about the semantics
of the elements.

> With CSS this layout is not reproducible, too many problems
> with the browsers. Solution? HTML ...

I'm pretty sure you already know it http://www.csszengarden.com/ or
http://cssvault.com/ and many many others.
Solution: Daily improvement of implementations, and that's a real
thing. I'm amazed every day by the wonderful things done with CSS.

Best Regards.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***