Re: Mailing-List and participation

Molly E. Holzschlag wrote:

> I've been online in some fashion since the early BBS days and I feel no need
> to be anywhere near flames.

With respect Molly: If you've been on line for so long, perhaps you
should be inured to the flame. Of course, there is no excuse for
rudeness, there is always a way to make a point in a positive and
productive way. But my long experience tells me that rudeness will
always exist and particularly so among those who breath the rare
(sometimes toxic) gases that form the atmosphere of standardization (and
advocacy) communities. I'm sorry you were hurt and I'm sorry you are
still feeling bruised; I'm also sorry there couldn't seem to be an
apology of any sort. But such is life. Time to move on?

I'm not sure how one would change the air in this list. It seems to
oscillate from being a W3C insider vehicle to a still born religious
movement to discrete silence.

Maybe we have enough "standards" already and it's time to focus on
making them meaningful and relevant to the beleaguered work-a-day web
stiff. For example, I put up a post a couple of weeks ago about
methodology and it's immaturity / inadequacy and saw no traffic out of
it whatsoever.  You can throw in your hook and hope for a bite, but
throwing in a bomb and watching the fish surface is really not to the point.

...edN