(unknown charset) Re: HTML Test Suite

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 10 mars 2004, à 10:48, Alex Rousskov a écrit :
>
> > IMHO, a large representative collection of known-to-be-valid and
> > known-to-be-invalid documents that are related to W3C standards
> > would indeed be a vary valuable resource for validator authors and
> > beyond. A test suite to test test suites should be a much lower
> > priority.
>
> hmmm. This exists for a long time now for HTML 4.01. But I'm not
> sure it's what you want. http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Test/

This would be a part of the large representative collection, useful
mostly for user agents, not validators. For collection to be more than
marginally useful for validators, it has to include lots of documents,
including realistic mixes of HTML, CSS, SVG/etc.,tiny and huge
documents, documents with very complex/deep internal structure, almost
broken documents, almost valid documents, broken links, link
loops/recursion of various kinds, etc., etc. Essentially, it should be
a representative sample of the Web, where each document is classified
and categorized.

> plus http://validator.w3.org/dev/tests/#xml
>
> Olivier is trying to set a framework to automatize everything so it
> will be easy to run the tests and to collect the results before
> releasing a new validator version.

This sounds like a normal tool development QA, not a full blown test
suite to test other test suites.

Alex.