Re: Weblogs by W3C Team members

On 15 Jul 2004, at 12:05, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Oskar van Rijswijk wrote:
>>> * Do you think W3C Team individual persons should have technical
>>> weblogs?
>
>> * It would offer more interaction: comments on weblog postings
>>  work better, than participation on a mailinglist.
>
> Interesting, why do you think so? What is it exactly that works better?

I don't know about better, but I suspect it might get input from a
different group of people. There are two reasons for this that come to
mind:

1. Weblog comment systems tend to have lower barriers to entry then
mailing lists. This encourages passers by to comment.

2. Weblogs lend themselves to linking, and webloggers tend to link
freely. This causes the more interesting entries to spread across the
blogosphere very quickly.

The downside is that as things are decentralised, it can be that a
relevent comment is three blogs away as the blue underline links - so
tracking down all the thoughts on the subject could be difficult.

Some W3C contributers already have blogs, so it might be interesting
and/or useful to create <http://planet.w3.org/> using the planet
software from <http://planetplanet.org/> which is used on a number of
websites including <http://planet.rdfhack.com/>,
<http://planet.gnome.org/>, <http://planet.debian.net/>,
<http://www.planetapache.org/> and <http://ooo.ximian.com/planet/>.
This might encourage other W3C contributers to start blogs under their
own steam.

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>