Re: XHTML Validator to RSS

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Le 05 juil. 2004, à 14:03, Josh King a écrit :
> Recently there were some heated discussions (see
> http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2004/06/17/validation_m/index.php
> and links from it) venting frustration about validiation.  Much of
> this angst came from the fact that the designers were having to
> correct bazillions of small errors and as a result they became annoyed
> (rightly so).

I think we all agree on that in the sense that the business of
validation should be done before publication. OK let's start the
requirement for it.

* Process
Pre-Era 2004:
	Writing ----> Publishing ----> Validation  wripuva
Post-Era 2004
	Writing ----> Validation ----> Publishing

Most of the time, the developers don't have built-in validation
mechanism. There are many things that could be checked the same way the
LogValidator[1] is done right now on a modular plug-in architecture.

Try:
	call(HTML Checker)
	call(CSS Checker)
	call(URI Checker)
	call(Spell Checker)
	call(Publish)
Except:
	echo "You are very bad and naughty, but we will help you to fix."

LogValidator [1] could be used for that purpose. There are still few
issues:

	- local version for Intranet or Web sites in dev
	- Easy to use tools, no or minimal install.
	- Authoring Tools, CMS: implementation of validation mechanisms

I remember a remarkable article from Simon Willison about staying valid
[5].
Movable Type has a plugin MTValidate [6]. Do you know about other tools?

* Developers Needs

* Education

What would you suggest to teach and convince:

	- Developers
		A guide, an article, a library tool?
		For example, should the Markup Validator
		should be a library with a specified API
		which could help developers to use it
		when they need in their software.

	- Users
		A guide how to write a Web page...
		yes I know it sounds a bit naive, but I
		don't know if we have that on the W3C
		Web site and there's always the  problem
		between source code/wysiwyg