Re: [SumsaultRT #212] iso-8859-1 vs. utf-8

Le jeudi, 25 sep 2003, à 06:43 America/Montreal, Richard Ishida a écrit
:

>> UTF-8 is quite universal, but you'll have to use html
>> entities (such as
>> "é" for "é") instead of accented (non-ascii) characters. This

> Hmm.  I think you somehow have this the wrong way round.  UTF-8 means
> you have no need to use character entities, since it covers the whole
> Unicode repertoire.  As you say, its because ISO 8859-1 only covers

:) let's clear up a bit. Both of you are right, in some context.

* If you have an editor (authoring tool) which can NOT input utf-8 in
your text and you still want to use utf-8 for your document. You can
use this low tech method which is
	é -> é for example, so you will have only us-ascii characters
in your document and us-ascii is a subset of utf-8.

* If you have an editor which can input utf-8. Just type your accents.

BTW, it would be good that someone on the mailing-list makes a list of
all editors and their support of utf-8.