Re: The Return of "WaSP Asks the W3C"

Jim Ley wrote:

> Dom wrote:
>
>>>My question for the W3C is "Why author XHTML? and why serve XHTML as
>>>text/html ?"
>>
>>Is that a question you would like to see discussed here or a question
>>you would like to see treated in another 'WaSP Asks the W3C' article?
>

> Either would be good, I'd just like to see it addressed really,  as I've yet
> to see anywhere address it, and it seems to be a common problem:

I second Jim's suggestion - there are a lot of myths and misconceptions
about XHTML floating around (I know I've been caught out by them often
enough). Probably as a "WaSP asks the W3C" article would be best, since
it gives me one point of reference to something more concrete than "just
an archived mailing list" post.

The myths I see often are (in comparison to HTML)
* XHTML is more accessible
* XHTML is easier
* XHTML is better supported in browsers
* XHTML separates content and presentation
* XHTML can be parsed with standard parsers

 From my personal view, I use XHTML purely for my benefit - I want to
experiment and play around with XML tools (not just solely for XHTML),
but its a useful source of data if I already have XML-type information
in existence when I get to the point of writing something interesting.
Apart from that I don't see anything compelling for using XHTML over
HTML4.01 Strict which benefits my readership.

Thanks,
Mike