Re: WaSP Asks the W3C - HTML or XHTML: Which should we use, and why?

Molly E. Holzschlag wrote:
> Please see the recent WaSP asks the W3C article.  All discussion can take
> place right here on this list.
>
> http://www.webstandards.org/learn/askw3c/oct2003.html

It's quite a coincidence that this article be published this week
because we're having quite a passionate discussion related to this in
the french web standards community these days. Like anywhere else,
people are concerned about who's right and who's wrong in this. Is XHTML
such a bad thing ? Is HTML too old for it's own good ? Ian Hickson who
believes HTML should be used attracts the attention of a minority of
purists (and I mean that in the most respectful way), and Jeffrey
Zeldman who says XHTML is the one to go for (which seems to attract the
broadest pack of followers).

I'm looking forward to a discussion on this because, while we have
plenty of ideas and opinions, most of them are led by personnal beliefs,
not actual proven facts.

Those of you who can understand french will get a glimpse of all this
mayhem here :

http://www.cybercodeur.net/weblog/commentaires/detailsCarnet.php?idmessage=731

--
Denis Boudreau [ CYBERcodeur.net ]