Re: XHTML 2.0 and Semantics

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, 1:40:42 PM, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:
> Being a participant in a WG, I can assure you that the fact that WG have
> to publish a draft every 3 months (as required by W3C Process Document)

Where is that requirement?

  "At least every three months, each Working Group must provide the
   public with an update of their progress. A progress report may take
   a variety of forms, including the publication of a technical
   report"
   - http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process-20010719/groups.html#three-month-rule

An update could simply be updating a WG homepage as far as I can see.

Something else I'd like to see are more timelines like the CSS WG have
with CSS3 at http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work#table. Not exact
release dates or anything, it's just nice to have some idea when the
next draft might be coming along.

> I'm sure that most WG do their best to reply to any issue raised in
> the right forum, to document their issues resolution and to
> highlight their open issues in their draft

Indeed, and they do do an excellent job. The problem is that the
mailing lists can take a bit of finding, and often aren't very
friendly to people new to the W3C (see "Three design-related (HTML or
CSS) elements for your consideration" on www-html for a recent classic
example of that).

> but requiring them to have more formal communications on all the
> front is unlikely to happen due to resources constraint.

Replace an internal WG meeting with a public one every so often? I
don't know how practical that would be. Even WGs publishing a simple
report of progress they have done ever year would be nice.

--
Tom Gilder
http://tom.me.uk/